The Women in Information and Communication (WIC) organisation was established in 2000 and is run by volunteers who choose to give their time to ensure the success of the organisation. Gai Brodtmann, former Member for Canberra is the patron of WIC.
WIC’s mission as a Canberra based, non-profit organisation is to “bring people together to champion women in Information and Communication” In order to meet this mission, the organisation has 5 strategies targeted towards those who support women in this industry. They include:
- To provide events where women in the information and communication industry can network for mutual benefit
- To inspire women in this industry to take their careers to new heights
- To publicly recognise and promote the talents and contributions of WIC members
- To provide a range of activities to increase the participation of women in the information and communications industries
- To have fun! One of the most valuable aims of WIC is to ensure that members, interested associates, supporters and participants have fun. This has been, and will continue to be, a focus in all WIC events and activities.
The WIC Board members participation and involvement is on voluntary basis. The success of WIC has been due to the commitment and efforts of women and men who have found WIC’s aims so valuable and are working towards a future where the information and communication industries are well represented by women.
If you wish to know more about the WIC Constitution, you can download the WIC Association Rules.
The WIC board meets once a month to set the direction for WIC activities and manage the day-to-day running of the group. There are ten board positions comprising President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and up to six other board members. Nomination to the board is open to all WIC members and the election takes place each year at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). Nominations are accepted from any current financial WIC member and should be made in advance of the AGM through submitting a completed WIC Board Nomination form.
Committees of the board are formed to help run specific WIC activities. Membership of a committee is open to all WIC members and you can join at any time. For more information on committees including information on how to join please contact us.